Sunday, January 28, 2007

Make Your Moments...Make a Difference

Make your moments…make a difference
g.simonsen

I didn't get her name, but the quiet young female with an unsure look
on her face walked into our store one slow afternoon. She was looking
for books on hope and comfort. Before I continue, allow me to rewind
to the beginning of this particular day.

Just before we open each day our staff gathers for a brief devotion and
prayer time for the day. Each week we share a scripture verse that we
focus on each day. I ask the staff to look for ways to reflect it to each
other and to our customers. On this day, our scripture reference was
the latter half of Psalm 23:4... "You are with me"

As the day began, it got busy early before an early afternoon lull hit. I
got running into circles and honestly forgot and wasn't thinking about
our scripture verse.

Standing in the middle of our store talking to this young female about
finding some books on hope and comfort, she then told me, "Do you
remember hearing about an accident on the way to the beach on May
25?" "I lost my whole family in that accident. I was the only one to
survive." My heart broke right there as I stood there talking to her.
We needed to find something for her. I told her of a few books I had in
mind and quickly ran to fetch them. As I ran to get the books, a book
that I had never opened before caught my eyes. I just knew the title
and the author. I grabbed that book too.

When I returned to the customer, this book I never opened before was
at the top of the heap. When I randomly opened it in front of the
customer, it opened near the middle to a page that had in large writing
on it, "YOU ARE WITH ME."

It was like a thousand arrows hit their mark simultaneously.

From there, one of our fine associates took over in assisting this
customer. What an honor to help this customer. Since the accident it
was only the fourth time she went anywhere.

Everyday we are faced with these opportunities. Unfortunately,
everyday we can easily miss these opportunities.

Opportunities to BE THERE for someone… Opportunities to MAKE
SOMEONE’S DAY. My good retail friends…they surround us everyday.
Perhaps they are standing over in the music section of your store.

Perhaps, they are one of us?

Everyday, life happens. In Christian retail, we have an awesome opportunity
to make a difference.

Will you make your moments make a difference?

It is too easy to get comfortable and go through the motions. As you
have just read, I certainly got running in circles.

Make your moments make a difference…you never know who might have
just walked into your store.

Please feel free to post your comments. I can be reached at: gunsim@msn.com

No comments: