Sunday, January 28, 2007

The Bowl

“The Bowl”
g.simonsen

For several years, I have eaten lunch at the Teriyaki Bowl down
the street. Sure, from time to time, I would grow tired of the same
food and venture to a new place, but, I would always come back.

Recently, I have begun to ask why.

What is it about this place that keeps bringing me back? Was it the friendly owner? Was it the fact she always knows what I want? Was it the fact that she always had a smile? I mean, let’s face it… the chicken bowl they served wasn’t the best. There were better chicken bowls out there. There were even cheaper chicken bowls out there.

This place just seemed to be the most convenient. Depending on the time of day, I could be in and out, and back to work in 30 minutes!

Pondering this question...
Something else dawned on me…

Why is it that every time I go to this restaurant, I bus my own
table? Where else do you bus your own table? I mean, nobody ever told me to bus my table. There are no signs that ask me to bus my own table. I am not expected to do it. It’s
just seems to be the right thing to do. I simply, get up, and walk my plate, cup, and utensils to the dirty dish tubs, say goodbye, and then leave.

How bizarre!

“But why?” I ask.

As I further investigate my hearts longing for the truth, I begin to realize the truth…

Perhaps, something has happened that could not be found in a business plan or a marketing strategy...

It is something that only has value when authenticity is present… Perhaps, that which continues to bring me back… is that which has been “sown” into “me” the customer… Great service and warm hospitality…

The owner of this teriyaki restaurant is simply reaping what they have sown.

So, as we in Christian retail continue to discuss great ideas for reaching the customer…or, great ideas for driving the customer into our stores…

Let’s not forget to ask what we are doing with them once they enter our stores.

Friends, it’s an everyday thing…it’s an every customer who walks through our doors thing… You reap what you sow. So, what are you sowing into your customers?

We can spend all the money on marketing in the world, but, if we sow poor service???

It’s too easy to “fall asleep” on your shift. It’s too easy being comfortable. We get to work, put on our favorite CD, grab our favorite book, and open the doors for business. All the while, people come in and out of our presence each day.

In Christian retail, we have an exciting opportunity with each customer. Quite frankly, with this joy we carry inside, it should be an opportunity shared with expectation to impact the heart of each customer with service that reflects Christ. It’s consistently being who we should be. Too often, we miss opportunities. We fall asleep, we go through the motions, and we get comfortable.

Are you and your staff awake and ready?

If you are…don’t be surprised if customers start “bussing your tables.”

Please feel free to post your comments. I can be reached at: gunsim@msn.com

No comments: