Sunday, January 28, 2007

The Basics...

Retail Thoughts on the Road to Victory
Gunnar Simonsen

Seeking to provide constant clarity, constant consistency, and constant communication in the following areas:

Offer exceptional and consistent guest services.

How were guest services? Was I greeted? Was I asked for help? Was the store staffed appropriately? Was I thanked for shopping or for visiting the store?

By attracting, hiring, and training great staff (effective communicator, passionate about the product, product knowledge, takes the initiative, team player, efficient POS usage, and loves to SMILE.)

Were guest services reflective of these principles?

Having the right product at the right time at the right price at the right quantity at the right margins…

Did store have what I was looking for? Was product clearly priced?

By developing and executing monthly store/product promotions quarterly in advance.

What promotions were they currently running? Was staff knowledgeable about the promotions?

By offering a consistent store presentation that is clean, organized, appealing, full, and guest friendly.

What did the store look like? Did the layout make sense? Could I tell where I was in the store at all times? [effective signage] Were product displays full and appealing?

By maximizing the use of various advertising channels to maintain high frequency of public awareness of: A. who we are B. where we are C. what we are doing (what’s going on)

What type of advertising was store currently running? Was staff knowledgeable about current advertising?

By more effectively using our data to determine: A. who our customer is B. what their needs are C. to utilize marketing dollars more effectively based on this data to target our core consumer groups, increase frequency of visits, increase profitability per guest, increase guest retention and satisfaction.

Did staff ask for my email and home address? What type of data analysis are we conducting to determine our core consumer groups?

By developing and implementing on a consistent basis, local store events that effectively engages our stores and staff with the community we serve.

Was there any upcoming events scheduled? What type of events would be effective? How would one set them up?

By offering a consistent and appealing guest experience throughout the entire store.

Was experience consistent throughout store with each staff interaction and product display? What is important to this store, based on what I saw? Did staff display product knowledge?

By managing our individual budgets with personal accountability based on our individual desires to succeed and to run a profitable operation.

Do I have a clear understanding of the budget? Do I have a clear understanding of my store budget expectations? What areas of opportunity does my store have to improve? How will I work to improve these areas?

By including consistent staff development practices into each day to foster a culture of both clarity and continued growth within a positive and exciting environment.

Do I and each of my staff have a clear understanding of our individual job expectations? Do I know how to most effectively communicate with each of my staff- members? Do I take time each day to both coach and praise my staff-members? Do I make people want to work here by how I speak, act, and work? As a leader, how am I perceived? Am I perceived clearly?

Please feel free to post your comments. I can be reached at: gunsim@msn.com

No comments: