Sunday, January 28, 2007

Be There

Be There
g.simonsen

Her name was Charlie; she was a lift driver for our local transit company. By appearance and posture, I got the picture that the world could easily have written her off, as if she lives her days without anyone noticing. But not Charlie, she found her place picking up the physically handicapped and the elderly every day. She told me that she made it a point to pray for them, especially the regulars. By the way, Charlie was looking for a specific book topic that none of us had any idea about.

But, we kept looking; there was something about Charlie that made you want to keep looking.
We ended up finding one book on the computer that looked like the right one; we just had no idea where it was.

But, we kept looking.

We found the book and Charlie bought it. She then left, as we all were excited that the mission appeared to be accomplished.

But the story doesn't end there. Charlie came back.

She motioned me to step out side and proceeded to share with me that she in discouragement cried out to God that morning that He would use someone to encourage her, to lift up her head. She said He did, it was us. From there she walked off into the parking lot, she had found what she was looking for.

Thank God we kept looking.

Sometimes it might be that word you say, while other times, it is a simple acknowledgement that says, “I see you.”

Isn’t that what we all want…to be acknowledged… to feel like someone cares. Sure the world might be moving a zillion miles per hour. But, somehow, that sales associate or that radio dj made me feel like it was just me.

Visiting one of the worlds only 24 hour Starbucks, I ventured in for my soy no water chai. It was early in the morning and the place was bouncing off the walls with energy. Filled with eager customers, ready to start the day, it was loud as the walls echoed with conversations, laughter, and coffee machines. But, somehow, that didn’t seem to phase the girl taking my order. She simply looked me in the eye and asked, “What can I get for you?”

It was a rare experience as I was made to feel like she really cared about me. It was my turn in line. Behind me, there seemed to be another 14000 customers, as more poured in and others waited patiently for their drinks. All the while the girl taking my order simply tuned them out and focused on me.

“How often does this happen?” I thought as I replied with my standard, “Grande, soy no water chai please.”

How often do we seem distracted or disinterested in the person we are talking to or the customer with that need? Many times, we don’t even realize we are doing it.

Do you really want to make a difference in a life today? Give them your undivided attention. Be there for them.

When your not…it’s obvious.

Please free to post your comments. I can be reached at: gunsim@msn.com

No comments: