Thursday, February 08, 2007

What I've Learned...

In October, 1995...

I interviewed for a job at the company I am now in charge of. The position was that of the "lead guy" of the music department. I recall as I made a counter offer just days before my wedding for a quarter more per hour.

...if I could only make $6.50 an hour, I would be ok.

Little did I know then, that God had a plan for my life within this company. I know I have made my share of mistakes along the way. But, God sure is faithful, isn't He? He's also extremely patient.

Along the way, I have had the honor to work a lot of talented people. In this, I have always sought to keep a watchful eye as to not miss a lesson that I could perhaps store away for a later time.

As we look back and celebrate our most successful year ever, I have also been looking back on some of things I have learned over the past 11+ years on this journey from that day back in 1995 to today. With this, I would like to share a few with you. Perhaps, at a later date, I will expand on each reflection.

One thing that must be said as I type this is... God is truly amazing and He has a plan for your life. Trust Him, Believe Him, Praise Him... For He is worthy to be praised! I am in this current position by the grace of God.

  1. Clarity is the antidote to anxiety
  2. Be accessible
  3. Become a storyteller
  4. Be an example - do I make people want to work here by how I treat them?
  5. Be a student - surround yourself with people who have been there, articles that teach you about there, and books that will help lead you there.
  6. An idea is no good if it is not implemented
  7. Who's at your side? - surround yourself with the right people both professionally and personally. community is critical to provide balance in your life. it is a safety net to ensure that your job does not end up defining you, but who you are... defines your job.
  8. I'm no better than you - we all have a roll. it's an (x amount of people in your company) three legged race.
  9. You reap what you sow - what are you sowing into the employees lives? People matter, make sure they know it, and i'm not talking about money here either.
  10. Be consistent
  11. Be sensitive to the needs of others
  12. Don't fear authenticity - be yourself
  13. Health - to maintain optimum performance ability, seeking a healthy lifestyle and getting proper rest is crucial. In doing this, it will provide proper balance as well as enable you to enjoy increased energy and a higher ability to focus. (I'm still trying to work on this one... :)
  14. IMPORTANT ONE**** FAMILY - Outside of our relationship with Christ, it is most important. how much do you have left in the "tank" at the end of the day? anything less than 51% is a problem.
  15. IMPORTANT ONE**** A. Have God in your life B. Have God's word in your life C. Have God's people in your life

I look forward to the day when I have mastered each of these. But, the truth of the matter is that we fall down and we get up. Just as long as we never fail to stop learning from each experience we face each day. There are stories out there for all the world to see. In those stories is a lesson. What part of those lessons will be used to help mold and define you?

In other words... what did Mt. Rushmore look like before? It was just a mountain with no faces.

What important lessons have you learned over the years that have helped define who you are today?

Please feel free to post a comment. I can be reached at gunsim@msn.com

3 comments:

Unknown said...

DISCLAIMER:

Proverbs 16:1 "We can gather our thoughts, but the LORD gives the right answer."

An important distinction for me has been to separate the "FAMILY" category in two. The relationship with my wife (i.e. marriage) is my #1 responsibility in the family, and my kids at a very close #2. Never let work or any outside 'obligations' (including church related; which I know is controversial to say) interfere with family. There is a delicate balance here where one should never be forgotten and, as a result, neither will ever have to be neglected.

Read, dissect, and digest a (Biblical) Proverb daily.

Work, work, work on waking up with a song on your lips (i.e Psalms)

Proverbs 16:26 "It is good for workers to have an appetite; an empty stomach drives them on."

Use smiley faces when emailing! :o)

Proverbs 16:11 "The LORD demands fairness in every business deal; he sets the standard."

Proverbs 15:31-33 "If you listen to constructive criticism, you will be at home among the wise.
If you reject criticism, you only harm yourself; but if you listen to correction, you grow in understanding.
Fear of the LORD teaches a person to be wise; humility precedes honor."

Listen first, speak last.

I'll now shut-up :o)

Anonymous said...

I met Gunnar for the first time last week, and found him to be a genuine brother in the Lord, walking his talk (after reading this blog). Most people in his position would have given me 45 minutes at best, and probably thinking about his next meeting rather than focusing his attention on our meeting. Refreshing! God certainly has the right man in the right place with Gunnar leading CS.

Anonymous said...

Hello Gunnar, I am a friend of Ross, I am an international Evangelist. I have seen amazing things only God can do. I have been to Bolivia, Pakistan, The Philippines and Brazil. In the Philippines I saw over 1,500 salvations and over 600 healed. In Brazil I saw over 2000 salvations and over 1,100 healed. Diabetes, Epilepsy, etc, etc. I loved all you said and wanted to let you know I am one of the recipents of the funds from the For Profit coffee business Ross set up.
Merry Christmas to you dear brother in Jesus. He is my King.

Evan Wiggs